This German company was established in 1845 by Ferdinand Adolph Lange in the small town of Glashütte, near Dresden, in the eastern state of Saxony. Under the leadership of its establish-er Ferdinand the company produced quality pocket watches. After his death, his sons Emil and Richard Lange continued the progress of the company by producing top quality pocket watches. Therefore their products rewarded with the “1A” desgnignation. Under the family ownership the company continued to produce pocket watches until the days of World War 2, when has followed stream of the times, produced over-sized wrist wacthes for the pilots of the Luftwaffe.
The year 1948 was fateful for the Lange company. The post war Soviet government expropriated the company’s property, and the Lange brand ceased to exist. However, in 1990, following the collapse of the East German government, the founder’s great-grandson, Walter Lange, together with watch industry executive Günter Blümlein, restored the company with the assistance of several Swiss watch manufacturers, including IWC and Jaeger Le Coultre. The re founded Lange, again operating from Glashütte, presented its first range of wrist watches in 1994. Today, A. Lange & Söhne (litt. A. Lange & Sons) wrist watches are sold globally and Lange, like IWC, is a member of the Richemont group.